About Me

My photo
I saw active service in conventional, clandestine and covert units of the South African Defence Force. I was the founder of the Private Military Company (PMC) Executive Outcomes in 1989 and its chairman until I left in 1997. Until its closure in 1998, EO operated primarily in Africa helping African governments that had been abandoned by the West and were facing threats from insurgencies, terrorism and organised crime. EO also operated in South America and the Far East. I believe that only Africans (Black and White) can truly solve Africa’s problems. I was appointed Chairman of STTEP International in 2009 and also lecture at military colleges and universities in Africa on defence, intelligence and security issues. Prior to the STTEP International appointment, I served as an independent politico-military advisor to several African governments. Until recently, I was a contributing editor to The Counter Terrorist magazine. All comments in line with the topics on this blog are welcome. As I consider this to be a serious look at military and security matters, foul language and political or religious debates will not be entertained on this blog.

Sunday, September 4, 2016

AN ‘ASSASSIN’S’ ALIBI


Every so often, somebody who calls him or herself a ‘researcher’ or a ‘journalist’ tries to link me to one or other unsolved political assassination.

Just yesterday again, I received communication from one such person—a Swedish aid worker nonetheless—who had been brought under the impression—or who had brought himself under the impression—that I held the answer, or had in-depth, secret knowledge of yet another such covert and dastardly deed. The reasoning appears to be that if anything happened in Africa, and I live and work in Africa, then I am either involved or have in-depth knowledge of whatever it is I am to be blamed for.

Still, that forced me to wrack my brains to recall my whereabouts on 18 September 1961, the day of the mysterious plane crash death of the Swedish diplomat Dag Hammarskjöld in Zambia—then Northern Rhodesia.

Luckily it was not too difficult. Since I was five years old at the time, I was in Botswana (then known as Bechuanaland) probably hunting birds with a pellet gun or playing in a pool of mud. Thus, I am fairly satisfied that—despite my tendency to wander about unsupervised by my parents—I would not have made it across the two different borders and shot his plane out of the sky without anybody noticing.

But somebody must think I have unresolved anger issues with Swedes as he is not the only Swede I have been accused of sending to his Maker prematurely.

Over the past 20 years, there have been persistent attempts to link me to the assassination of former Swedish Premier Olof Palme. That was in Stockholm on 28 February 1986.

My alibi for the above assassination is so boring that I will just pretend that I was at a top secret location in Switzerland having my fingerprints burnt-off after having been falsely accused of the 1983 suicide bombing of the US embassy in Beirut.

However, I must confess publicly, that unfortunately I do not have an alibi for the poisoning of Alexander the Great. But with the way the insinuations are flying, I shall have to make an urgent appointment with a hypnotherapist and have myself regressed to a previous life in 323 B.C. so that I can cobble together another defence.

Meanwhile, if any of you have any knowledge of my whereabouts at the time of any other unsolved assassinations or downing of aircraft, please forward the details to me. It will save me much time and effort.

10 comments:

Sonny Cox said...

Yes Eeben it would appear that sometimes our demons actions precede events!

With my split personality, I have also been accused of two crimes on the same day and times at different venues.......

LIFE IS GREAT TO SAY THE LEAST.........

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

It is indeed so Sonny. Some of these allegations fall into the category of ‘you couldn’t make it up even if you paid a script writer’. I learned a long time ago to look at the source of the story to determine whose interests they are serving. But, we also need to remember, that this is exactly how some people make their living.
I have also been (very maliciously and falsely) accused of committing simultaneous covert acts on 2 different continents and have come to realise that the best thing one can do is simply to expose the story tellers. That way, they become even more frustrated and angry at everyone and everything.
That makes life great tome.
Rgds,
Eeben

Unknown said...

Dear Sir,
The ones who know the least about violence and killing are allways those who speak the loudest about it.Did you also not kill Cock Robbin ? Kind regards.

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

That is very true Munyul! And they want to change the world based on their warped perceptions of how it really is. That is the scary part to me.
Rgds,
Eeben

Unknown said...

Dear Eeben, I am the Swede who contacted you recently. I have absolutely NOT accused you of anything what so ever! Pls read my lines again. Here are the key words of what I wrote:

"...It seems very possible or even likely that you know about "M" and XXXXX - since he was aiming at setting up a similar force as the one that you actually created. Besides that, I gather you may have either heard of him or had contact with him. It would be immensily valuable to interview you on this topic."

and then:

"I'm sorry that I gave you the wrong impression and I appologize. What I wanted to do was to ask IF you knew about "M" or had any contact with him. Such information would be valuable for us."

No hard feelings on my side though! I still think it would be interesting to talk to you!

WayneBisset said...

Hell, you are giving Chuck Norris a run for his money!

graycladunits said...

Dear Eeben:

I wouldn't worry about this. You are so popular that your rivals in the world of defense contracting likely just send these nuts in your direction to distract and annoy you when they come across them. It gets the nuts out of their hair. If you want to have some fun start asking these folks who suggested they come to you and you'll find the real culprits. Perhaps Goran is from MPRI or BAE Systems? Just an idea is all.

Sincerely, David Hensley

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

You insinuations were very clear Goran.
I am sick and tired of people trying to twist reality to suit their ill-informed perceptions. What I am amazed at is that money is still given to ‘look into’ these matters. Once I answered ‘no’ to your questions, you kept pushing the matter, trying to get me to admit to something I know nothing about.
Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

Just sick and tired of these 'paid' so-called researchers, Wayne. I suspect they have a very negative agenda...
Rgds,
Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

That wouldn’t surprise me David as ironically, despite their utterances, many are in actual fact hoping for a continuation of conflict to ensure a steady income for themselves and their so-called ‘research’.
One foreign government has decided to adopt a different approach: To ensure the longevity of its proxy forces, they ‘secretly’ tell our client-governments that we are planning a coup against them. These governments in turn tell us what they are being told. We then all have a good laugh at their pathetic disinformation tactics. African governments are no longer as ill-informed at the geo-political power play happening on the continent and who is really creating and establishing proxy forces and why.
Rgds,
Eeben