About Me

My photo
I saw active service in conventional, clandestine and covert units of the South African Defence Force. I was the founder of the Private Military Company (PMC) Executive Outcomes in 1989 and its chairman until I left in 1997. Until its closure in 1998, EO operated primarily in Africa helping African governments that had been abandoned by the West and were facing threats from insurgencies, terrorism and organised crime. EO also operated in South America and the Far East. I believe that only Africans (Black and White) can truly solve Africa’s problems. I was appointed Chairman of STTEP International in 2009 and also lecture at military colleges and universities in Africa on defence, intelligence and security issues. Prior to the STTEP International appointment, I served as an independent politico-military advisor to several African governments. Until recently, I was a contributing editor to The Counter Terrorist magazine. All comments in line with the topics on this blog are welcome. As I consider this to be a serious look at military and security matters, foul language and political or religious debates will not be entertained on this blog.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

AN APOLOGY FROM EXECUTIVE OUTCOMES PROTECTIVE SERVICES


In early June 2012, Jason alerted me to a company posing as the reborn Executive Outcomes. Not only did Executive Outcomes Protective Services (EOPS) imply that they traced their origins back to the real EO, they also claimed that I had died...These lies were placed on their website (www.eopssecurity.com)

In response to these fraudulent claims, I posted my view on the matter on my blog on 11 June 2012. See http://eebenbarlowsmilitaryandsecurityblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-early-demiseby-eops.html I also asked a certain Mr M Dominguez to respond to my questions on my untimely death. He never did.

I was once again alerted to EOPS by Jason who directed me to an entry at http://wolfesteel2000.blogspot.com/2012/09/eeben-barlow.html submitted by Charles Wolfe, the newly appointed Regional Manager for the notorious EOPS. His apology on the net reads as follows:

On behalf of Executive Outcome Protective Services I would like to apologize for the way our website has been written. Mr. Dominguez greatly regrets not speaking to anyone for advise on how the Company History should have been written.
E.O.P.S. had no intentions of portraying that our employees came from your founded EO company. Mr. Dominguez was very inspired by your professionalism and dedication and wanted only to be portrayed in the same manner. We have great respect for what you have done in South Africa and abroad, and would like for you to understand what we are trying to accomplish here in South Florida by providing security services with the same mindset and goals such as yours.
I will be changing the way it is written as the Newly appointed Regional Manager. And again we apologize for the misunderstanding.

To be fair, it takes some courage to have to write an apology regarding gross misrepresentation.  Charles Wolfe was true to his word and some changes were made on their website, most importantly writing the “late” me out of their site.

However, on their website, they still refer to themselves as “Executive Outcomes”. Some folks just don’t get it. Whereas imitation may be a great form of flattery, false testimony does not endear one to the bearer of that testimony.

I would like to wish EOPS well with their business but as long as they infer their origins, I cannot do that. 

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I suspect their new manager was so embarressed by the company and their silly blurb that he felt compelled to do something about it. Look irt did take a YEAR for the company to finally do something about it even though they were informed of their obvious mistake numerous times. This leads me to surmise that they do not read incoming emails or look at their own website too often. This are not good for a company supposedly offering "executive security" services such as guarding and private close protection where attention to detail are primary!

I am however glad to see that you have been ressurrected from the dead though.
one last note.. Only in America.
Mike.

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Barlow, I was wandering if you can could give a fellow like me advice about joining the military, for as long as I can remember I've always had keen interest in Military history. I was wandering if you could express any advice or opinions' with me about Soldiering.
If possible; with You're consent, would it be possible to talk about this privately via email? If not, I understand.

Many thanks,
P.J.

Axel B. said...

Dear Mr Barlow,

I am a young French executive working in the defence & security area. I have been following your blog for quite some time now.

You probably remember me, I recently sent you a couple of messages about that poor French soldier, imprisoned for wearing a scarf with a skull on it during the intervention in Mali.

I am writing to you today because I am currently looking for a new challenge in my professional life.

Don't worry I won't waste your time throwing around credentials or exaggerated job titles, boring past experiences or unrelated skills. The truth is I'd only like to work around true professionals of the security sector, whatever it costs me.
Being a former Army reservist, I realise that I am a field worker and cannot imagine my life staring at a computer screen all day.

In all honesty I have no experience of the African security market whatsoever, but I am ready to learn everything necessary and, being proficient in French and Portuguese, would love to help an African security company developing its activities in some French or Portuguese-speaking countries on this continent.

I thus wanted to ask you if you knew some companies or individuals who would probably be interested by a young motivated guy, familiar with the industry, proficient in French, English and Portuguese, and willing to travel and work anywhere.

I would like to thank you in advance for your consideration.

If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact me at : bisquay@gmail.com


Yours sincerely,
Axel Bisquay

Alan said...

Dear Eeben:

Normally, one might credit "imitation as the highest form of flattery", but these fellows look like fattened rhino's! "Inspirational founder" wat kak.

Hope you are well.
Regards, Alan

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

At least they did finally apologise, Mike. I suppose I ought to be grateful that they recognise the fact that I am still alive.

Rgds,

Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

Joining the armed forces and making a career out of it can be daunting but it remains an honourable profession, PJ. However, it really depends what branch of service you are interested in ie the army, navy or air force.

Each country has different entry requirements and I would suggest you determine what those requirements are in the country you live in. Also, then go and speak to the staff that are responsible for the recruiting. I am sure they can give you very good advice. I think that things have also changed somewhat the past few years.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to enter into an email discussion about this as I do not have much free time to give you sound advice.

I really wish you good luck with this planned career.

Rgds,

Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

I do remember you, Axel. Thanks again for keeping us updated on that silly situation. I still shake my head at the stupidity that soldiers are expected to give their lives in defence of a country’s foreign policy and in doing so, have to kill people but they are not allowed to wear a dust-scarf that may offend the enemy.

I can fully sympathise with your situation – especially where computers are concerned. Computers are either in your blood – and it seems in our case, they certainly are not.

Africa is dominated by numerous US and UK private military companies. I am sure that many of them would be very happy to have someone with your skills and language ability on board. As you know, many ex-European colonies speak French and Portuguese.

Also, I hope that by posting your full comment, including your email address, someone will contact you. If I hear of anything, I will also let you know.

Good luck to you.

Rgds,

Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

Long time, no hear, Alan. I trust you are well.

I really had a chuckle reading your last few words. So true!!

Rgds,

Eeben

Gexton said...

Thanks, you guys that is a great explanation. keep up the good work.. home security service
home security solution

Gatvol said...

Eeben,
The same thing happened with Rooibos Tea. Believe it or not South Africans had to fight in court as some clown had "trademarked" the name in the states.
The company knew nothing about real Rooibos and was selling it AS "Rooibos Tea." Court case was brief and South Africa won, but what a nightmare.

freemanuys said...

Mr Barlow. Congratulations with your resurrection. We can only assume that you died in Israel because it is apparently the only country where such miracles take place.
groete
p uys

VirginiaLibertarian said...

Mr. Barlow,
I'm glad to have discovered your blog and that you are doing well. I don't know if this the proper venue for praising your work that has been so beneficial to Africa and I couldn't agree more with your statement that only Africans--black AND white can solve the problems that continue to plague it. As a 44 year old American veteran who has followed African news since the 70's with Rhodesia, I am very saddened that the world did not heed Ian Smith's warnings in coming to terms with terrorists. I believe the deafening silence regarding the plight of modern Zimbabwe and increasingly South Africa tells the story and the need for your services and expertise to right the wrongs that the West has chosen to ignore. I wish you well sir and hope that you still contribute to the stability provided by the services of Executive Outcomes. I am one of your biggest fans and would be honored to have you as a friend on Facebook if you are on there. Take care and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Patrick Beagle
Mechanicsville, Virginia USA

chill said...

roviding security services with the same mindset and goals such as yours.
I will be changing the way it is written as the Newly appointed Regional Manager. And again we apologize for the misunderstanding.
the firstsecurityservices.com website

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

I seem to recall that case, Gatvol.

I do think that the South Africans were also very lax about trademarking their product and this opened the door to these con artists.

Rgds,

Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

It is good to be back from the dead, P Uys.

Rgds,

Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

Thank you for your kind words re EO, Patrick.

You must remember that EO got a lot of pressure from the US State Dept to close down. Apparently, we did not suit the US agenda in Africa. This was partly done to get rid of EO and replace the company with US PMCs. Ironically, we were termed “mercenaries” and those who replaced us were “contractors”! I still believe this was a silly attitude but then again, politics is a silly game.

I am fortunate that many African governments have come to realise how they were hoodwinked and are turning increasingly to my men and I to assist and advise them. It has been a long hard road but finally we feel we are able to offer some stability and positive input to governments.

I am not on Facebook; I did start a page but only because someone else used my name to start a Facebook page. So, thank you again your offer.

Good luck and rgds,

Eeben

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

Apology accepted, Chill.

Good luck.

Eeben

Unknown said...

Hi Mr Barlow

Ek weet nie as dit onder u kennis gekom het dat n groep persone op die donker web onwettige wapens verkoop met die skuil naam van EO hulle gebruik selfs die selfde logo

Op ligter nood het ek n vraag eks volgende jaar kla met skool (2015) en will uit proebeer vir n spes eenheid ek het groot geword met die spraak van EO,Taakmag en die Recces maar die toestand wat ons weermag nou in is wonder ek maar net mense se altyd jy moet n plan B he en die weermag het nie soveel eenheide waarvan ek weet nie (clandestine) Ek will uit try vir taakmag en het n paar vriende wat daar was maar om eerlik te wees ek ky meer na iets soos die voormalige vlakplaas en kato manor ek will net die werk doen wat bitter min mense berid is om te doen gan volgende jaar my Graad A tot E doen en gan regestreur by psira.

Al wat ek vrae is na rig lyne Mr was mos meestal deel van die tipe werk wat sal u voorstel ?
Sal dit harklik wardeur

Armand Badenhorst

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

I am aware of what they are trying to do, Armand. You will also see that I posted a piece on these creatures.
Regardless of what you think of the SANDF, I would still recommend that you follow that route. Whereas there are many things that may not be perceived as correct in the SANDF, I still think it would be a good route to go. A lot of negativity surrounding the SANDF is valid and a lot of it is invalid. There are still good soldiers serving in the SANDF.
Following traditional conventional training and then applying to join an unconventional unit will stand you in good stead.
Rgds,
Eeben