About Me

My photo
I saw active service in conventional, clandestine and covert units of the South African Defence Force. I was the founder of the Private Military Company (PMC) Executive Outcomes in 1989 and its chairman until I left in 1997. Until its closure in 1998, EO operated primarily in Africa helping African governments that had been abandoned by the West and were facing threats from insurgencies, terrorism and organised crime. EO also operated in South America and the Far East. I believe that only Africans (Black and White) can truly solve Africa’s problems. I was appointed Chairman of STTEP International in 2009 and also lecture at military colleges and universities in Africa on defence, intelligence and security issues. Prior to the STTEP International appointment, I served as an independent politico-military advisor to several African governments. Until recently, I was a contributing editor to The Counter Terrorist magazine. All comments in line with the topics on this blog are welcome. As I consider this to be a serious look at military and security matters, foul language and political or religious debates will not be entertained on this blog.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

I would like to wish all of my Chinese friends and their families, wherever they may be, a very Happy Chinese New Year.

I hope that the coming year will bring you good health, many blessings and much joy.

4 comments:

ray said...

Thank you for your wishes. The year of Mouse (2008), for many people, was full of challenges and frustration.
Along with the law of Yin and Yang , ancient Taoists observed a pattern of expression in nature that they interpreted as, and called, the Five Elements. These elements, or energies, were described as fire, earth, metal, water, and wood. As such, they were felt to be the prime energetic building blocks from which all material substance in the phenomenal world is composed.
The element of the year of Ox is Earth which is the basic element to nourish everything, i.e. the year of Ox shall be the beginning of everything. People can have the good harvest in Summer time. Wishing you all the best

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

Many thanks, Ray.

I trust that the Year of the Ox will be a good one for all of us.

Rgds,

Eeben

graycladunits said...

Dear Sir:

I am on p. 425 of your book. I am wondering: Are any of the subsidiary companies owned by EO still functioning? Also, Chesterfields? Cool. I never would have guessed though. Most soldiers in the US like Marlboro lights. On occasion, I like one of these or a Kool Menthol.

Eeben Barlow's Milsec Blog said...

There are still one or two of those companies functioning GCU. I have, however, not had any contact with them for years.

Yes, Chesterfield is still around…

Rgds,

Eeben